Wednesday, November 7, 2007

New Look

Why, one might ask, am I writing a blog on coaching, when I, as an eighteen year old college student, have never experienced what it’s like to coach? While I have never had the role of a coach, I have definitely had to cope with the MANY different coaching styles since I have played soccer for fourteen years of my life. So yes, I am writing this from a first hand account of playing soccer at a competitive level. In that sense, one may say that my view of coaching is limited due to that single sport’s impact on my life. If that’s you, then just take this from a soccer perspective for now and later we will conclude whether or not it can be applied to other sports. Having to adapt to numerous coaching techniques throughout my many years of playing, it made me wonder which methods are more effective. I’ve seen coaches win games through constant instruction; I’ve seen them make players cry; I’ve seen them sit in angered silence. As a person who sought and still seeks approval from others, I yearned to meet the coach’s standards. I was afraid to be yelled at. I would often think - what if the coach takes me out of the game or what if he embarrasses me in front of the entire team? Playing with fear did not produce the best results for me personally. Experiencing so many extreme emotions and getting a taste of different coaching styles, the way someone coaches a team really interests me.

Is any coaching method necessarily right or wrong? Perhaps a better word choice would be - are certain coaching methods more effective than others? What do these different styles look like? For now let’s just address coaching during games, and specifically soccer games. Some coaches take the approach of instructing their players what to do on the field. The player could have the ball and have to make a decision; a player could be on the other side of the field, just in the wrong position; a player could have just passed the ball instead of shot it. The coach could interject and tell the player what to do in these situations. Would this be beneficial to the player or hinder the player? The player could learn from the coach’s instruction and next time shoot the ball if they’re in that situation, or they could get in a better position next time. The next time that situation arises, the player may do the right thing only because the coach navigates their movements while the play is developing. Is the athlete actually learning the right choices to make or robotically following the coach’s requests? One may say, well what does it matter if it’s bettering the team’s performance? In the long run, a player’s personal development will be aided by actually learning how to play the game. Consider this quote about education… http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/Bill_Beattie/

Also, I have witnessed many emotional problems with soccer players. Sure people are bound to get upset after losing a big match or getting a bad call from the referee. Some emotions are difficult to control. However, when a player gets angry because of a coach’s decision, comment, or action, something should be done about it because those things can be prevented. Especially in youth soccer, shouldn’t soccer be made to entertain kids? So many times coaches get too into the game and start yelling at five year-olds. YMCA soccer is not meant to be extremely competitive, especially at that age. Yelling at children could be discouraging and steer them away from liking soccer. As kids get older, they may be able to handle more criticism. But even then, it still can affect a person’s self-confidence, thus changing their performance. Coaches need to be more aware of how each individual player responds to them in order to strengthen the team’s performance.

7 comments:

Bizz*ERK said...

I haven't been on many teams in my life, but I have experienced different coaching techniques. What is really perplexing to me is each of my coaches didn't lead by example.I used to play basketball. None of my coaches ever came to practice willing to work out themselves. I think that is a factor in how well a team performsin a game. When I was in seventh grade, I went to the first day of tryouts, I didn't go to the second day, because I was afraid of the coach and his method of coaching. You can probably guess I didn't try out my eighth grade year. I was on my high school's JV team for two years. I didn't tryout for the varsity team... guess who the assistant coach is?

Bizz*ERK said...

here are a few links...
http://www.y-coach.com/principles.html

http://www.1st4sport.com/1st4sportsite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=B23520

http://www.topendsports.com/coaching/

http://www.coachfederation.org/ICF/For+Coaching+Clients/What+is+a+Coach/

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/articles/2007/11/04/coaching_styles_clash_as_unbeaten_teams_meet/

http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos251.htm

Corey M. S. said...

McCrea, first I would like to state that your blog is highly interesting in that personally I have not heard someone go deeply into this issue which is important to the foundation of youth sports development. I understand that when a coach causes fear, it can lead to errors from the players, but out of fear can come respect and out of respect comes guidance. Then, your statement on the comparison of more effective ways of coaching to right or wrong is slightly concerning to me. A coach can do many things to be 'effective' but this does not make him or her coach the 'right' way. Cheating or other unethical acts are effective, but they are not the correct way to coach. This thought of ethical coaching is important if you desire to find the best way to coach. My final thought relates to the five year- old example, maybe yelling at children to discourage them is a natural way to 'weed out' children that are not actually interested, which opens the league to more solid players. This could benefit the sport for further generations as skill levels increase

Corey M. S. said...

These are some relevant links that should assist you in coming to a proper conclusion.

http://www.certifiedcoach.org/ethics.html

This goes to actual rules and regulations of a coach. The information on the link should demonstrate the ‘actual’ role of a coach. Then, it discusses the ethical nature of coaching, which is important to your topic.

http://www.familyresource.com/parenting/sports/how-parents-can-choose-the-proper-little-league-coach-for-their-child

This link is from a parental point of view. It focuses on what to look for in a coach in order to pick the best one. Also, there is a relation to the limitations of what a couch should be able to do, which I believe is the generalized point of your blog.

http://www.kidshealth.org/teen/food_fitness/sports/good_coach.html

Now that you have the parental point of view, here is the child’s point of view. This gives example of what makes a coach good from the eyes of youth players. This a great link because it provides for a primary source account.

McCrea said...

Thanks for those links, Corey. I read them all and they were really interesting. They pretty much confirmed by thoughts on the issue about youth sports. I wonder how valid those survey responses were on the "primary source" article. That kind of makes me want to create another poll...maybe about the way a person learns best, either from a teacher or a coach. The certified coach website was cool too; I think it pertained mainly to business stuff but if you replace the word 'client' with 'player', it could easily relate to sports.

Bizz*ERK said...

I was watching tv last night, and I saw an interesting show studing the effects coaches have on their players. I don't remember the name, but I'm sure you can probably find it online. I think it was on Fox Sports Network. It was a scientific study on the difference of heart rate when a athlete has a calm coach, and a Bobby Knight-type coach.

Willy said...

It was a good decision to stick with soccer, regardless of your coaching. As I'm sure you had some excellent coaches and some that were, not quite what you needed, to be polite. None the less, it is good to see that you "stuck with it" throughout your many years of coaching, such persistence and resilience will prove to be highly beneficial in the years to come as you continue on to work under bosses who are not so fit for their job, and it will force you to appreciate adequate leadership. As a fellow soccer player, I too have shared in your experiences with differenct coaching. With concern to your question of better coaching, I would have to side with the coach that discusses with the players off the field or at half time moreso than the coach who yells at a player simply for being in the wrong position. The player must experience poor play in order to want to avoid it. Chances are, if he or she is playing at a competitive level, then they think that they are doing what is best, I doubt they are going to take a shot thinking, "This is the worst thing for the team." However, once they realize this, the coach can then go over the situation with them and discuss what they could have done better. If time is of the essence then the coach can make a quick sub, and talk to the player then. Unless it is something drastically terribly wrong, I would advise against constant yelling at specific players on the field. A very well written post and I look forward to what's next!